We demonstrate our corporate social responsibility in our community service, social outreach and partnerships insuch areas as health, education, humanitarian assistance, culture, sports and education. Some highlights include:
SJCCU sponsors the Bendals Community Group (BCG) Annual Education Grant.
including schools’ annual prize-giving and awards in our surrounding community and summer programmes; Ministry of Education Business practical training and awards and the recognition of exceptional performance in the Common Entrance and CSEC examinations in Zone 4, annually.
Further to our ongoing successful Internship partnership with ASC, we also facilitate their career days.
SJCCU collaborates annually with this social partner in their Cancer Awareness drive, by celebrating Pink Fridays in the throughout the month of October. This features pink wear among the staff, the collection of donations and purchases of pink ribbons and display of cancer awareness pamphlets and paraphernalia.
St. John’s Co-operative Credit Union partners with a number of organisations in fulfilling our community service and social goals. Our partners include:
SJCCU has been the title sponsor of Women’s Softball Cricket in association with the Antigua & Barbuda Softball Cricket Association for the past seventeen (17) years and counting.
Formed in May of 2001 by a group of residents intent on community development and advocacy. Its members volunteer of their time and service in this non-profit organization as they seek to impact the educational, environmental, social and economic facets of their community.
Some of the activities / projects undertaken in partnership with BCG include:
- Donating the funds for the Annual Education Grants/Scholarships Program to students at the primary, secondary and tertiary levels
- Commuter bus branding
The other activities of BCG include:
- Assisting students at the Common Entrance and CXC levels with revision and practice
- Assisting persons at the CXC level financially who may have the aptitude but not the resources
- Taking the elderly on excursions
- Partnering with Eye-Mobile to provide free glaucoma testing every March
- Partnering with the Mount St. John’s Medical Center to launch a kidney-testing exercise, which hopefully will become an annual exercise
- Lending assistance to the community clinic and primary school
- Awarding community members annually in the areas of sports and general humanitarianism
- Hosting fund-raising events to assist in covering medical expenses. In the near future they hope to have a Medical Fund established.
- Collaborating with the Red Cross society to have persons receive first aid and disaster-response training
As partners with the Gilbert Agricultural & Rural Development Centre (GARDC) we have assisted with the sponsorship of their programs to include funds and venue for vocational courses, business mentorships, internships and facilitation at career fairs.
As a stakeholder in the financial sector, we share and colloborate with the ABIA in the empowerment and development of the small business sector. Also we are participants in the ABIA Constuct Antigua and Barbuda Initiative (CABI) and the Mind Your Business series.